Immigration >
Federal Skilled Trades

Everyone's situation is unique, and the article below should be used for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. The article SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON as legal advice, nor is it intended to create a solicitor-client relationship. If you are charged with an offence, please retain and instruct counsel immediately. I do not guarantee the accuracy of any articles on this website and reserve the right to change its contents without notice. For more information please refer to the website's usage policy.

Important Note: There are changes coming to the Skilled Trades beginning January 2015. Details of the new system will be posted when available.

The Federal Skilled Trades program allow individuals with prior experience in specific trades outside of Canada to apply for permanent residence if several conditions are met. 

  • Work Experience in the Trade
  • Language Ability 
  • Canadian Qualification or Arranged Employment

Condition 1: Work Experience in the Trade

The prior trade experience must be at least two year of paid full time (or equivalent part time) employment within the last five (5) years. Your trade must fall under one of these NOC major groups: 

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production, and
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators.

In order to find out if your job qualifies, you must consult Human Resource and Skills Development Canada. 

Condition 2: Language Ability

You are required to have a certain level of English ability. They test this through a third party agency contracted by the government. The minimum required score is "CLB 5" for speaking and listening and "CLB 4" for reading and writing. More information can be found on the CIC website.

Condition 3: Canadian Qualification or Arranged Employment

You must also be qualified to practice your trade in Canada. There are many trade groups that offer certification in Canada, and it varies by province and trade. A welder, for example must be certified through the Ontario College of Trades. 

If you have an arranged offer of employment for full time work from a Canadian employer, then you do not need Canadian certification. 

Unsure if you qualify? Book an appointment today to find out!

Learn More:


Need help with your Federal Skilled Worker applicationClick here to book an appointment today!

Useful For:

  1. People with International Trades Work Experience
  2. People with Trades Certification from Canada